Transitioning to Natural Hair With Fine Hair

I am now transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair. So, I made the decision on 2/15/10 to transition from relaxed hair to natural hair! Since the age of 11, I've had chemically processed hair and frankly I'm tired of it! I now want to know and see what my natural hair looks like. I'm sure the journey ahead is going to be a road of many bumps, turns, and twists. But, I'm ready for it!!! I am currently three months post relaxer. What this means is, it's been three months since I've had a relaxer applied to my hair in order to straighten out the curl pattern. As a matter of fact, my last touch up was done on 12/5/09. I'm not going to lie to you, I am really nervous about this and really don't know what to expect. However, I know that I am beautiful with or without a relaxer. Plus, my crown of glory will thank me for it with producing a much healthier head of hair!

I have very fine hair, so while I'm transitioning I have to ensure that I take extra care of my fine strands. Since I am transitioning and not doing a big chop, I am going to have to deal with the two textures (relaxed and natural) which if not properly taken care of can lead to breakage, brittleness, and lack of luster. With that said my main focal point during this journey will be making sure that I keep a proper balance of moisture and protein.

Here are some tips to follow if you're taking this same journey:

- Shampoo and deep condition on a weekly basis.

- Incorporate hair styles that are transition friendly and requires low manipulation - braid outs, roller sets, buns, weaves, etc.

- Deep condition with a mixture of moisture and protein conditioners or with one that contains both.

- Hardcore protein treatment every six weeks.

- Moisturize on a daily basis and seal in the moisture with light essential oils.